Listen pal, you can't just waltz in here, use
my toaster and spout universal truths without qualification!
Hal Hartley - Surviving Desire
I am a pure mathematician interested in various aspects of geometry,
topology, category theory, metric spaces and quantum algebra. I am a
Catster and a host of the n-Category Café.
The Catsters consists of my colleague Eugenia Cheng and me. We have put
up instructional YouTube videos on Category Theory.
You know that I write slowly.
This is chiefly because I am never satisfied until I have said as much
as possible in a few words, and writing briefly takes far more time
than writing at length.
Karl Friedrich Gauss
spans, Isbell completions and semi-tropical modules
Theory and Applications of Categories 28 (2013) 696-732. arxiv:1302.4370 [Blogpost]
- On the
magnitude of spheres, surfaces and other homogeneous spaces
Geometriae Dedicata (2013). arxiv:1005.4041
- On the
asymptotic magnitude of subsets of Euclidean space (with Tom
Geometriae Dedicata 164 (2013) 287-310. arxiv:0908.1582 [Blogpost]
- The Mukai
pairing, I: a categorical approach (with A.Caldararu),
New York Journal of Mathematics 16 (2010) 61-98. arXiv:0707.2052
the Rozansky-Witten weight systems (with J.Roberts),
Algebraic & Geometric Topology 10 (2010) 1455-1519. math.DG/0602653.
See also Justin Roberts'
diagrammatic approach to Hopf monads
[For less wide typesetting style see arXiv version.]
Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering C - Theme Issue
"Interactions of algebraic and coalgebraic structures (theory and
applications)" December 2008; Vol. 33, Number 2C math/0807.0658
twisted Drinfeld double of a finite group via gerbes and finite
Algebraic & Geometric Topology 8 (2008) 1419-1457
and Homotopy Quantum Field Theories (with U.Bunke and
Algebr. Geom. Topol. 4 (2004) 407-437 math/0201116
- Homotopy quantum
field theories and related ideas (with M.Brightwell and P.Turner)
Int. J. Modern Phys. A 18 Supplement (2003) 115-122.
almost-integral universal Vassiliev invariant of knots
Algebraic and Geometric Topology 2 (2002) paper no. 29, 649-664
the first two Vassiliev invariants,
Experimental Mathematics (2002).
groups and finite type invariants of pure braids (with
Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 132 (2001) 117-130.
Kontsevich integral and algebraic structures on the space of
Knots in Hellas '98, Series on Knots and Everything vol 24, World
Scientific, 2000, 530-546.
invariants as polynomials,
Knot Theory, Banach Centre Publications 42 (1998) 457-463.
- A combinatorial
half-integration from weight system to Vassiliev knot invariant,
J. Knot Theory Ramifications, 7 no. 4 (1998) 519-526.
- Vassiliev invariants and the Hopf algebra of chord diagrams,
Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., 119 (1996) 55-65.
- On the Vassiliev invariants for knots and for pure braids,
(official abstract) Edinburgh
University PhD Thesis, July 1997. This contains material from the above
papers together with ideas on the relationship between Vassiliev
invariants for pure braids and de Rham homotopy theory.
- Vassiliev invariants for knots,
Essay for Part III of the Cambridge Mathematical Tripos, May 1993. A
survey of Bar-Natan's paper On the Vassiliev knot invariants,
which contained some additional work of my own.
Selected writings at the n-Category Café
(Jan 5, 2014)
- End your ignorance of ends!
- Classical Dualities and Formal Concept Analysis
(Sep 12, 2013)
- Find out what algebraic varieties, convex sets, linear subspaces, real numbers, logical theories and extension fields have in common with formal concepts.
Concept Analysis (Sep 2, 2013)
- Have a peek at the notion of formal concept analysis
Nucleus of a Profunctor: Some Categorified Linear Algebra (Aug 19,
- Watch some linear algebra being categorified.
and enriched categories (Jun 3, 2013)
- Read about a different take on torsors
Scheduling and Copresheaves (Mar 24, 2013)
- Find out what PERT graphs have to do with enriched categories
spans, Isbell completions and semi-tropical modules (Jan 20, 2013)
- See how these three things are related.
Spread of a Metric Space (Sep 5, 2012)
- Read how this notion of size for metric spaces has some
Transforms and the Pull-Push Perspective, I (Nov 7, 2010)
- Start to see how enriched profunctors can be viewed as
categorifications of integral kernels.
Over a Category of Subsets (Aug 30, 2010)
- Discover how enriched category theory leads to the definition of
some generalized metrics on the space of continuous functions on the
the Magnitude of Spheres, Surfaces and Other Homogeneous Spaces
(Apr 21, 2010)
- See the details of a new paper on the magnitude of metric spaces.
Surface Diagrams (Mar 24, 2010)
- Watch some videos to see how I’m trying to make 3d models of
categorical surface diagrams.
Volumes and Weyl's Tube Formula (Mar 12, 2010)
- Read about how the volume of a tube around a surface in 3-space
depends only on intrinsic invariants of the surface.
Look at the Mathematical Origins of Western Musical Scales (Feb 26,
- See how the rational numbers 2 and 3/2 gave birth to the Western
Magnitude of Metric Spaces and Problems with Penguins (Oct 10, 2009)
- Learn about the tenuous link between emperor penguins and the
magnitude of metric spaces.